Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Recent Changes

Well my ship date got moved back to the original date, so now I'm leaving Sept. 6. Fortunately I won't have to go to MEPS again like some of the others who are going to be bussed to their basic sites- I'll go straight to the airport.

I have also been made aware of another option for getting my commission. I can join ROTC as a graduate student and get my master's degree (at no cost to me) and my commission at the same time. It's a fairly tempting option even for one who wasn't looking to go back to school any time soon. ROTC would replace OCS and BOLC and gives you first pick of the available jobs rather than having to compete on an OML like the OCS students do. I plan on speaking to a ROTC recruiter about this soon so I can make a decision when I get back from basic. Now to figure out what I want a master's degree in...

(Sorry for the alphabet soup. Use the links to go to the definitions page)

2 comments:

  1. This is your Jewish mother speaking...

    GO TO GRAD SCHOOL. IT'S FREE.

    If you don't, I'm going to put myself on a stretcher, dye my hair, and talk with a deep voice and pretend I'm you. Don't put it past me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its certainly the direction I'm leaning but it will make the next two years crazy. Working full time, going to school full time (9 hrs/semester), fulfilling my military obligation, etc... And that mental image is quite comical.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. As a security measure, please do not use my name or the names of my family members in your post.