Friday, August 5, 2011

Contacting Me

A coworker recently asked me what the response time would be on work emails while I was gone. After I laughed, I told him about 10 weeks or they'll just need to figure it out without me. I won't have email, texting, facebook, or really any form of communication devised post-1930.

There are two ways you'll be able to contact me while I'm gone:
1. Comment on the journal entries. My wife will print them out and send them to me.

2. Good ol'-fashioned snail mail. Once I'm settled in (about 7-10 days after Week 0 starts) you can get my address from my wife. I'd love to hear updates from the outside world from you personally, current events, pictures, sermon notes, etc.. Feel free to be mildly creative.

IMPORTANT: While soldiers in the sandbox love getting care packages, they're a bit of a nightmare for those of us in training. Please don't send me anything that isn't a paper product. [Edit: no books or magazines, we're not allowed to have those either] The DS's love care packages because they get to take all the goodies and the recipient soldier gets smoked.

Expectations. I've heard it rumored we get about 2.5 hours of free time between our afternoon sailing lesson and the evening campfire. Oh wait- no, that was something else. Our work schedules mean long, exhausting days of training are the norm. My first priority is contact with my wife, if I have more time I'll do everything I can to respond to your correspondence. If I feel I've insufficiently been able to respond to you I promise I'll make it up when I get back by taking you out to eat or sending you a Christmas present. Everything I've read says that letters are a really huge encouragement to soldiers- have no doubt that I will greatly appreciate even the smallest act of thoughtfulness.

Emergencies. In the event of a family emergency where I am either needed at home or need to be notified contact the American Red Cross (1-877-272-7337) and they will help work things out.

That about covers this topic. I'm getting excited, four more weeks and I'll be at Fort Jackson. Bring it.

1 comment:

  1. Just a suggestion: the pony express isn't always the most efficient delivery system, so go ahead and number and date the letters you send just in case they get jumbled in the mail. Also write the address exactly the way its given to you- that helps ensure the letters don't get placed in a "sorting pile."

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. As a security measure, please do not use my name or the names of my family members in your post.