Friday, November 4, 2011

Grenades

Week of 10/23

This week has been crazy. I can't seem to separate the days any longer, so I'll try to hit the highlights. Sunday was the same as always - church and work detail, cleaning up our parts of the base. Monday we all got different jobs around post. I spent the day getting a range cleaned up and replacing targets. Our DS's left us along for the most part, so it was a pretty low-key day. The real fun started Tuesday: grenade qualification. We ran a course where we had 6 different types of objectives to assault (bunkers, vehicles, trenches, individuals) with grenades.  We used practice grenades that are identical to the real deal minus the high explosive. They do "explode" with an entertaining bang so you know when to pick your head up and start moving again. I did pretty well and as the saying goes - close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

The big change of the week was Tuesday morning when I was appointed platoon guide! Finally I get a chance to lead from up front. The platoon was relieved the DS's picked me too - the last few haven't been anything to write home about. It's a lot more responsibility with no extra benefits. But it's what I signed up to do, so I'm glad to have the position. I'll probably have it for a week before its changed again - the DS's haven't let anyone stay much longer than that so more people will get to have some experience leading.

Wednesday was Part 2 of grenade qualification: live grenades. Somehow the Army figured out how to take up an entire day for 160 some soldiers to throw 2 grenades each. We had to throw 2 dummies again to prove we wouldn't kill ourselves or anyone else. Then we got 2 frag grenades to qualify with. It was crazy to think there was so much destructive power in the 2 baseball-sized frags I had to carry on my chest (pause for a Tim Allen grunt). I'm pretty sure you earn an irrevocable man card once you've thrown explosives of this caliber. It was extremely satisfying to hear and feel the concussive explosion from behind the protective bunker. Few things have brought a smile of that magnitude to my face in my entire life. Here's to hoping those aren't the last grenades I'll ever throw.
Frags in hand ready to move to the throwing pits

Random update: I'm now in Run Group A (or "A Train")- the fastest group. (I did it for you, Mark and David.)

Thursday was a prequalification for team firing. That's where two people assault an objective by laying down, covering fire while the other soldier bounds forward. The lanes are about 200m long and they simulate a city street with cars, barriers, buildings, etc. to get cover behind. By the time you throw a dummy grenade at the end of the course, you're pretty winded from all the quick movements and diving around. It's all good and fun - it sure beats a day of sitting behind a desk. Friday we did it all again with live ammunition instead of blank rounds. That freaked some people out because you could potentially shoot and kill yourself and your battle buddy on accident. But when you do everything the way you're trained, there's nothing to worry about. It was a fun week, and I'm glad another one is crossed off the calendar.

Note from the wife: he said in his personal letter to me that he is sick. He could use your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments. OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. As a security measure, please do not use my name or the names of my family members in your post.