Friday, May 20, 2011

Swearing In

Well it's official- I am now a proud member of the Texas Army National Guard. Fortunately, I was able to pick up where I left off the last time I was at MEPS. The only thing I was really worried about not passing was the infamous "duck walk" where you squat down and have to walk about 2 yards and turn around without falling over. My recruiter told me it's been a problem for some of his taller applicants and if you can't do it properly you can't join. Well I'm up towards 80 inches and had no problem. After the medical portion I went through processing to finalize my contract (non-OCS applicants also pick their MOS- military occupational specialty in this step), NG applicants get assigned to a unit, have fingerprints taken and submit data for a FBI background check. I was also given my boot camp ship date and location (Fort Jackson in early September). This is tentative as I will be applying to leave sooner than the 120 days you're automatically scheduled for.

Once you've properly signed your life away, you take the oath of enlistment:
I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

If you're joining the Guard you'll also take an oath to obey the orders of the governor of your particular state. 

Family is allowed to attend and take pictures, so I was glad to have my wife there cheering me on. It feels good to finally be a part of the US military and I'm excited about everything ahead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments. OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. As a security measure, please do not use my name or the names of my family members in your post.